Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Other Guys (2010)

The Other Guys is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. Bradley and I went to see this the weekend it came out and it was the best decision we had ever made. I am a huge HUGE fan of Will Ferrell (Anchorman) and Steve Coogan (Tropic Thunder). Until this movie I have never really had any reason to watch a movie with Mark Wahlberg (We Own the Night), he mostly plays up tight cops and thats not my kind of movie. In this movie though, Mark Wahlberg makes the couple of odd ball cops even funnier. Topping the cast off with my favorite batman of all time Michael Keaton (Batman) and even Samuel L. Jackson.


The movie starts off with a high speed chase through New York. Samuel L. Jackson and Dwayne (Not the rock anymore) Johnson are shooting down thugs and destroying the city as they go. Later on to see that the bad guys only have an ounce of pot in their car (misdemeanor at the most) they are framed as the hot shot heros of new york. They chase bad guys, drink their livers dead, sleep with beautiful women, and basically every other cop movie rolled in to one. For the short time they are in this movie they make the scenes hilarious. About three scenes in to the movie though Jackson and Johnson dive off of a thirty story building chasing after a group of bad guys that got away a long time ago. There wasn't even an patio to fall on, just street. It was the funniest death scene in the movie.

The movie though centers around two cops who happened to be partnered together and aren't getting along too well. The first and shortest man alive is Mark Wahlberg (We Own the Night), he plays a neurotic alcoholic that lost his girlfriend because he is too devoted to being a cop. The random scenes where he goes to visit this old girlfriend are the best, the one they cut out being my favorite. I know that Mark Wahlberg makes a good cop drama actor, but I have to say if they picked any other person for this role it wouldn't have been this good. Mark Wahlberg makes jokes with a serious face and I just can't help but laugh at him every time I see him now. Maybe if he does more movies like this I might watch him more often. In my oppnion Mark Wahlberg could be the next Leslie Nealson, RIP, for the remakes of the movie Airplane.


Making the already too short Wahlberg look like a midget is the hilarious Will Ferrell (Elf). Will Ferrell is a funny actor. If you don't like him, well thats your fault. He is an acquired taste, and if you don't like his movies then you never will. Basically all his movies are the same, Ricky Bobby makes fun of NASCAR and hillbillies, The Other Guys makes fun of cop dramas, and Elf makes fun of all those sappy kid movies. Other than the colossal failure that was Stranger than Fiction, all of Ferrells movies are great. He is a funny guy, who is funny looking, and doesn't know when to stop. The whole stable whores scene was great. Don't forget to get his new Faceback application for the Iphone!

Playing Ferrells wife and apparently the hottest woman on Earth Eva Mendes (We Own the Night), is just as funny as he is.  Mendes plays the wealthy and sexy wife of Ferrells character that Wahlbergs character drools over. I have seen her in more serious roles and enjoyed the movies. I don't think that if they picked another hot actress that the movie would be different at all. She was mainly there to look good, and any other person could do that. Even though the whole grandmother scene was hilarious, they didn't really have much of a role for her in the movie.


The police station where Ferrell and Whalbergs characters work is kept in line by a stress riddles captain that just happens to quote TLC lyrics. Michael Keaton has had my respect as an actor since the first batman movie with the joker and vicky vale. Keaton can be funny, as his many other movies have told us, or completely serious to where they make you cry. He is a great actor and I don't think I would love this movie as much without him. He does the TLC lyrics perfectly and his second job at Bed Bath and Beyond was great. Seeing him in that apron just made me roll on the floor laughing.

The last big actor I have to give credit too in this movie you probably don't think is that big. I have seen many of the movies he has made and think that he is one of the biggest names they could have picked for his small role. He is funny, crazy, and British. Steve Coogan (Tropic Thunder) plays a great bad guy in this movie. He isn't too threatening, which you don't want in a comedy, or too over bearing an actor. I loved his work in Tropic Thunder though they killed him off before the main story even started. Hamlet 2, which isn't a movie for the weak hearted, is a funnier movie where he is the main character. He is a whiny little guy but I am looking forward to his next movies and hope he teams up with Ferrell once more. Maybe even for a squeal? 


The last people I'm going to talk about are probably my favorite in this whole movie. They are the side actors that make the little quips about Ferrell and Wahlberg molding them in to better cops. These two guys might not have the biggest names in Hollywood yet but I predict many good things for their future. The first is Damon Wayans Jr (Dance Flick), thats right another Wayans. He is funny and can be a complete ass hole when he needs to be. Teamed up with his partner in crime is Rob Riggle (The Daily Show) that I have been laughing at since he started to do his crazy reports on comedy central. They make the scene where Ferrell plows right through a crime scene with his little car covering it with cocaine. Riggle even makes a comment, "It looks like Scarface sneezed on your car" that kept me laughing halfway through the movie.

All in all I would give The Other Guys a 4.5 out of 5. It is funny and has some serious special effects, though the wrecking ball going through the building was completely real. It kept me laughing and I expect nothing less from a Ferrell movie. If you don't agree, I don't care. Because I am going to be quoting this and many of his other movies for a long time.


I honestly didn't know who Derek Jeter was until this movie came out but being a pro athlete he really tackled those big words at the end of the movie very well. Good luck with your sports thing, and I'm sorry acting didn't really work out for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment