Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Greatest (2009)

The Greatest movie is anything but. Never herd of this movie? Thats because its a low budget movie that went straight to DVD. Its about dealing with a great loss within your life, and how different people deal with that loss.


There is one good thing about this movie, Pierce Brosnan (James Bond), I love Mr.Brosnan saying till the day I die that he will be one of the greatest James Bonds ever. Excluding that one with the invisible car and the giant satellite that burns things. Pierce Brosnan is a great actor that looks good and sophisticated at the same time. He has the sexiest accent and I do believe he is the hottest old guy around. Pierce Brosnan is really the only reason that I rented this movie and I am glad I did.  Pierce plays the father of a son that was lost in a deadly car crash. The first scene we see Pierce is when he is sitting in his bed holding his alarm clock, we later realize that he hasn't slept since that fatal night. He has to deal with his drug addicted living son and crazy wife. He does a great job in this movie and I am glad I rented it.



Susan Sarandon is the crazy mother in this movie that doesn't talk about her dead son while she is concious and refuses to let the maid come in to house to keep her sons room just as it was. Susan starts to break down in the beginning of the movie and it just gets worse and worse as the story line progresses. Susan can play a great crazy woman. There was a particular scene that got to me, its the middle of the night and Susan Sarandon is sleep walking through her house crying out for someone to help her find her son. She is in the middle of a hallway talking through her madness just pleading for someone to help her. It was a moving scene and almost made me cry, ALMOST. I rented this movie because of Pierce Brosnan but I'm glad I got it because Susan was so great.



The son that dies about ten minutes in to the movie and is mostly in flashbacks you might know. The kid, Aaron Johnson (Kick Ass), has an awkward sex scene with his first girl friend in the beginning of the movie. He starts to drive this girl home at the beginning of the movie and when he stops to have a romantic moment and tell her that he loves her the car gets hit head on. This kid wasn't in the movie long enough of me to judge his part or acting skills, but from what everyone in the movie says about him. Well, I would say he was a total jerk.


Halfway through the movie after a funeral and the family starts to fall apart a collage age woman appears at their very large houses' doorstep saying that she is pregnant with their dead sons child.  This girl is a new comer to the screen and I have only seen her in one other movie, which was very good.  I couldn't tell if the other movie was good because of her, but now I know. The young actress, Carey Mulligan (An Education), brings a spark of life to this dieing family. She gives Pierce Broasnans' character the strength to tell his crazy wife that he still loves her and doesn't blame her in the slightest. She shows Susan Sarandan a new side of her little boy, and that she was blaming the wrong person for the death of her son. Carey Mulligan shows this family not only that being different is a strength, but that them being different is what binds the family together. Carey Mulligan is a strong actress and she plays the part perfectly. I am looking forward to more movies with this girl.




The story line of this movie is depressing. There are no special effects to say anything about because its mostly about human interaction. The family is crazy, it really brings back a lot of memories, but they are functional at the same time. The dialog is great and I never got bored. Keeping my attention is a feat considering I might have ADD. Though I have nothing bad to say about the actors and their characters I do have something horrible to say about the movie in general. Since this was a straight to DVD movie it didn't really make any impact on society or get any award credit. The movie touches over everything slightly, there is no in depth scene. There are many mentions of things and no elaboration. If I had a hand in this movie I would done, more. I don't even know what that means in general terms, but I would put MORE in to this movie.
All in all I would this movie a 4 out of 5. I would say if a friend had it then borrow it, but don't go out and spend money on it.


Got a  movie? Let me know and I will review it. PLEASE I NEED IDEAS!

No comments:

Post a Comment